Sunday, November 6, 2011

Little Koala comes to visit


We have had a lot of wildlife around our place recently, more so since our dog died...but today took the pip! I was busy working on my computer in my studio when I heard a clip, clip, clip sound behind me. I realised that I had forgotten to close the screen door, and thought a water dragon (lizard) was coming to visit.


Imagine my surprise when I turned around and saw one of the most beautiful koalas I have ever seen, padding around on our timber floor. This is the first time we have seen a koala on our property, and we have lived here 16 years. I have never heard of koalas coming indoors to visit! He/she had the sweetest little face and was light grey in colour, with a white bum. I think from the fur he/she is quite juvenile. It was still soft and fluffy looking. The planting of all of those trees has certainly paid off!


I tried to yell for my husband to look, but the poor little thing took fright and ran (very quickly) for the nearest gum. I grabbed my camera, but wasn't able to take many quality pics. My heart is warmed, and I thank god that I was magnanimous today to put some money in the Save the Koala fund at the markets!


Segue to these Aussie souvenir cushions. I love these, and got the middle one today! One of my earliest memories is a Sydney Harbour Bridge cushion given to us by my godparents in the early 60's. I used to look at the glitter on the Harbour Bridge, and run my hands over the velvet and think it was one of the most beautiful objects in the world. I adored that cushion! Years later, I would stand by a window in Balmain, and just gaze at the Harbour Bridge remembering that cushion. It is weird how intense our early memories are....and that is why I obsessively buy these Australiana cushions whenever I get a chance!


And...for that reason I make my tea towel re-purposed cushions...it is my little nostalgic trip .

I am playing with ATG today and Nifty Thrifty Tuesday.


5 comments:

  1. that is so awesome! i would have probably scared it away by squealing with delight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - absolutely brilliant! Lucky you!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  3. A koala! How amazing and fantastic - I'm utterly jealous x

    ReplyDelete
  4. O my, what a wonderful, lovely sight that would be! Love the pillows too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nick, how delightful. I would have run to it and tried to cuddle it. Probably would have been scratched for my outpouring of love, LOL I hope he/she comes to visit you again. And, your pillows are lovely too. Thanks for sharing. Greetings from Canada. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails