Sunday, May 15, 2011

Three beers and some chillies

I have quite a lot of produce from my garden that we can't eat...like eggplant, cucumbers and chillies. I seem to pick kilos of them and they ultimatley rot. Today, however I decided to bite the bullet and get started preserving and make some more sweet chilli sauce, pickled cucumbers and baba ganoush.


I have made chilli sauce a few times over the years, and blogged about the process, but for some reason or other, I neglected to include the recipe. Maybe I thought I would remember all the particulars...but that is what blogging is about...documenting. So this time I am including the recipe.

Disclaimer: I am not sure how this will taste. I think the last time I made this I burnt the buggery out of my stomach, giving myself ulcers,  and so this time I got Sparky to taste. He said it was delicous, but not 'sticky' enough. However it may cool to a sticky consistency.

Ingredients
  • 400g  fresh red chillies, stems trimmed
  • 3 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 750ml (3 cups) white vinegar
  • 645g (3 cups)  sugar
  • A thumb of ginger
  • A bunch of  fresh coriander, chopped
Method
Halve 250g of the chillies and place in the bowl of a food processor. Halve and deseed the remaining chillies. Coarsely chop and place in the food processor. Add garlic and 250ml white vinegar and ginger. Process until finely chopped.

Place the chilli mixture, remaining vinegar, chopped coriander and  sugar in a large saucepan over a low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the sugar dissolves.

Increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 35-40 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Pour into sterilised airtight bottles and seal.

Eek, my face is burning from touching it with chilli hands! For those who have noticed, the title of this blog included 'three beers'. The reason being that I am such a clumsy cook, the chillies end up everwhere and three beers is the correct amount to numb the senses!

7 comments:

  1. Yummo!
    We live on this stuff...not home-made though.
    There is a little old Italian man who sells big bags of chillis at the swap meet, next time I go I'm going to buy a bag and try out your recipe. Let me know if it gets sticky please Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and I love your yellow cannisters by the way

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I love the cannisters too... not a chilli fan, I know I'm the last person in australia who doesn't like chilli...!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum I do hope your face isnt chilli still tho

    ReplyDelete
  5. Easy recipe! Preserving your garden's produce has always been a way to pass the winters in my family and I appreciate yours too :) Looking forward to the pickles recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I have a preserving obsession at the moment but no chillies..so must put some in for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will be so trying your recipe! I am hooked on everything chili, I insult the chefs at restaurants about food not being hot so they try and kill me, then im happy!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails