Monday, February 1, 2010

Living locally - January

During the last six months I have put concerted efforts to living semi-sustainably and authentically.

What does that mean I hear you ask?

It means growing as much of our own food as possible, and when we can't grow something  buying it from a local producer. We have constructed a good size vege garden so I can get some efficient crop rotation going.


I have just compiled my stats for the month of January. They go with the gardening journal that I have been keeping so that I can keep track of my successes and failures. Unfortuantely we had a massive storm here last week, and before that very hot/dry conditions, so the garden isn't looking its best. But I will put up a pic every month so the seasonal change can be appreciated. As you can see, one of my successes has been cucumber. I am running out of ways of eating them!
Eggplants (Small variety) 48                  Watermelon   4
Zucchini  4                                            Pumpkin  3
Tomato   cherry 5kg   large 16              Chilli  36 
Cucumber 101                                     Radish  20 
Spring Onion  6                                    Eggs 90
Florence Fennel  6                                Figs  6
Rhubarb lots!                                        Herbs everything I need

We are still eating the potatoes that I put  in last year. The corn is coming on, and we have about 6 watermelons that we are itching to pick, but have been told to wait two weeks. Every day I knock on them...they sound hollow, look at their bottoms...they are yellow... and hope against hope they won't split with the rain we have had in the last couple of days. There is nothing like watermelon, warmed by the sun, and eaten immediately after picking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails