Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Cake Decorating

When my sister and I were little tackers, we adored a couple of cake decorating books that were published around the 1950's. We lived and breathed those books, vowing one day that we would be cake decorators and make the most beautiful cakes in the world. I particularly remember the lattice baskets. I recently came across it at the local auctions, and with it came a complete set of Tala nozzles. I was livid when some bloke out bid me!


Well, that fire was reignited today when I came across Jane Brocket's blog and her iced cakes that were done in a masterclass of icing guru Peggy Porschen. Please, please, do yourself a favour and have a look at the Peggy Porschen website and her tiered and mini cakes. They are absoloutely glorious.   Works of art.

However, and it is a big however, at what cost is perfection? Well if you want to learn how to make these  easter cupcakes (below) it will set you back 250 pounds for a one day masterclass !That is AUD$409. Pretty steep for some cupcakes.  

Is it me? My Scottish heritage? My intrinsic thriftiness, my poverty? Does anyone else see the decadence of spending $400 to make a dozen cupcakes?

I think I will begin with a book from the library and learn the basics. From there I will progress at wonderous leaps and bounds, eventually overtaking PP,  becoming World Class Cake Icer. xxNick


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails